Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Fruit of The Spirit

When I was 8, my parents decided to send me to camp. I cried on the plane (yes, they put me on a plane by myself... this was the 80s), and was intent on being mad at them for my whole life for "sending me away". I was supposed to call my mom as soon as I got to the camp. I was intent on telling her that under no circumstance would I stay, that I would have to come home right that instant! She would have to come pick me up... That was way I was going to say... However...

I never called. I got to camp and immediately began having the time of my life! I forgot to call home and mom had to call me at some point to ensure I made it.

I went back as either a camper or staffer (missing only one or two years) until I was 20! Some of my best memories are from the camp. It's where I started to sing. I sang Love In Any Language by Sandy Patti my first summer there at one of our Singspiration nights. (This is right before we all walk to the Nibble Nook for ice cream!)...

But I digress... The camp is God centered and I love that. There are 5 age groups and therefore "villages" as we call them. Each village has a verse and a Fruit of the Spirit that goes along with it. Since I'm studying the fruit of the spirit I thought it would be good to remember the verses that went along with each village

The youngest group--the Chippewas--represent Joy. Their verse is Luke 2:52 "And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with all men"

The second age group--The Chickasaws--they represent Goodness and their verse is: Psalm 27:14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

The middle group--The Cheyennes--they represent Kindness and their verse is: Proverbs 21:21 He who pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor.

The 4th group--The MIGHTY Choctaws--represent gentleness and their verse is: Habakkuk 3:19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.

The oldest group of girls--The Cherokees--represent self control and their verse is: John 8:32 And you shall know the truth and the truth will set you free!

Each girl also gets what we call an honor band for each 'village' that she has been a part of. The honor bands are different colors, and if you have a really crafty mom she can sew them together, or you can use tape :-) The colors are (in order) Green, Red, Yellow, Brown, Blue. It looks like a pretty rainbow if you have obtained them all.. if I ever find a scanner, I'll put a picture in here of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment