Friday, March 5, 2010

Break Free from Your Steel Bars

I have come to love Beth Moore. Her Bible study, Breaking Free, affected me greatly. I was listening to a song this week that I thought really captured that study.

If you aren't familiar with the study, the Bible verse that is the foundation of the study is

Isaiah 61:1-3
1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,

2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.


The song that brought this study to mind for me this week was Steel Bars by Jill Phillips. Jill Phillips is an artist that could get right to my heart with every word she sings! I mean, really this girl has a gift. Check out her website. You can watch her sing Steel Bars here on YouTube.

Here is the first verse and the chorus....

So this is how it feels at the rock bottom of despair
When the house I built comes crashing down
And this is how it feels when I know the man that I say I am
Is not the man that I am when no one's around
This is how it feels to come alive again
And start fighting back to gain control
And this is how it feels to let freedom in
And break these chains that enslave my soul

CHORUS:
I refuse to be locked up in here like a prison cell
Where all I ever get is a meal and four walls
I used to be just fine in here but not anymore
Gonna break through these steel bars


I challenge you (and I challenge myself) to truly allow God to break you out of whatever steel bars are enslaving your soul. Let HIM take control over you. You'll be so free it will amaze you!

No comments:

Post a Comment